If that's how you're feeling, don't worry. You're not the first person to need a little guidance and you're certainly not the last. As t-shirt printing experts, we're here to break down everything you need to know about ordering custom t-shirts for your school.
The screen-printing process: from idea conception to project completion
If you've never printed t-shirts before, it's helpful to know the process so you can avoid common mistakes and get the most bang for your buck. Typically, these are the steps you can expect to follow when screen-printing your shirts.
- Find a screen printer: Do your research and be sure to work with a reputable and reliable business. Read reviews, ask for their typical turnaround time, and collect quotes.
- Choose your school t-shirt style: Do you want the shirt to be short sleeve or long sleeve? Cotton or polyester? Sometimes it can be beneficial to offer a few different options to ensure every student has a shirt that they'll love.
- Decide on a design: This is the fun (but sometimes challenging) part. As you start brainstorming design ideas, consider *why* you're ordering shirts. Here are some common themes and design tips for each option.
- School spirit: Include your school mascot or logo and utilize your school colors as much as possible.
- Fundraising shirts: Make the cause clear. Include a quote, mission statement, or graphic that inspires action (and ordering).
- Class shirts: These are great for graduation, senior send-off gifts, or even homecoming week. Be sure to include the year, school mascot, and school name.
- Jerseys: When it comes to jerseys, keep it simple. Include the team name and utilize large lettering for the numbers.
- State shirts: Did a school team make it to state? Include everyone's names in the design. This can increase school pride and overall order quantity.
- Place your order: Once your design is finalized, you'll send it off to your screen-printer. They'll ensure the file type is in vector format and provide an estimated timeline for completion. Here at Out of the Blue, we'll get you your t-shirts in 10 days or less from the time you approve your design.
Ways to save
Budget is a big factor when ordering any type of apparel. To get the most bang for your buck, try to order in bulk. This will give you a lower price point per item. And the great thing about t-shirts is that they never go out of style. Placing one large order is better than multiple small- to medium-sized orders.
Things to be wary of
While there is certainly no shortage of reputable screen printers, there are also a lot of vendors who pretend to have a storefront, while actually operating out of a basement with low-quality equipment. Here are some things to look out for to ensure you avoid low-quality printers and instead work with a reliable vendor.
- Unusually low prices - If the price seems too good to be true, it usually is.
- Hidden costs - Are delivery costs included in the quote they provide?
- Inexperienced vendors - Do they have a portfolio of past projects you can look through?
Get started on your school t-shirt printing project today
If you're ready to get started on your school t-shirt printing project, reach out to us today at Out of the Blue. We are a family-owned screen printing shop that strives to provide a stress-free purchasing experience, environmentally-friendly products, and unparalleled customer service.
So, what are you waiting for? Request your free quote for your printing project today!