1. Choose your t-shirt style
First and foremost, you’ll want to decide what type of t-shirt you want to sell. You usually can’t go wrong with a classic product like a Gildan cotton t-shirt. These durable shirts come in a variety of colors and they’re both comfortable and classic. And these shirts are an exceptionally budget-friendly option for bulk orders.
Still, it’s best to offer more than just one option so that you’re selling a style everyone can get excited about. Make sure you include a mix of short-sleeve, long-sleeve, and crewneck or hoodie options.
2. Determine a t-shirt theme
Deciding on a theme before you start designing will help make the process a lot easier. Here are some top school shirt themes to consider:
- School pride shirt - A school pride shirt typically utilizes existing design elements like a school mascot or logo. These are shirts that work well for any type of event and can be worn for years to come. To make them more unique, use an old logo to give them more of a vintage look.
- Class shirt - Class shirts are great for graduation, homecoming week, or as a senior send-off gift. Include the school name, graduation year, and the school mascot to create the perfect sentiment with your design.
- Event-specific shirt - These are great for big games or competitions, cheering on a team or an individual that’s going to state, or the first day of school.
3. Create your design
Now it’s time for the fun part—designing your t-shirt! Here are some helpful tips and tricks to ensure you design something that people will actually want to wear:
- Keep it simple. Overly complicated or busy shirts become difficult to print and even more difficult to read.
- Choose an imprint color that will stand out. Yellow text on a white shirt won’t show up very well. Instead, try to select contrasting colors for the shirt itself and the imprint.
- Bigger is better. Small designs are often difficult to read on t-shirts. Be sure to scale your design so it will take up significant space on a shirt.
- Use vector artwork. If you’re not an expert, don’t worry. We are! If you’re unsure what a Vector Artwork File is, let us know. We can walk you through it and get your artwork ready to print.
- Typography matters. The font you choose can make or break your design. We recommend using high-quality fonts that won’t go out of style.
4. Place your order
Now that you’ve nailed down your t-shirt style and design, it’s time to start sourcing screen printers. Here at Out of the Blue, we have a few different purchasing options for your school shirt order:
Place a bulk order
If you’re looking to order a large number of shirts at an affordable price point, a bulk order is the way to go. Once your design is finalized, we’ll create the screens, start the printing, and cure the ink. In just 10 days or less, your school shirt designs will be in your hands and ready to sell.
Set up a virtual store and start a fundraiser
Are you interested in raising money for your school? Then set up a virtual store with Out of the Blue! We’ll help design your shirt, set up an online store, and fulfill all online orders. It’s really that easy.
Work with Out of the Blue for your school shirt designs
If you’re ready to get started on your school shirt design, reach out to us at Out of the Blue. We specialize in screen printing and have worked with hundreds of clients on plenty of unique school t-shirt designs.
Request a free quote today to get started on your custom t-shirt designs.